This delicious, thick, crunchy burger is closely related to this one. But a few swaps, like basil for cilantro and sun-dried tomatoes for chipotle, and it becomes decidedly Italian in nature. Serve it with a slather of good marinara and a slice of melted, gooey vegan Mozzarella on top and you’ve got a swoon-worthy pizza burger in your hands (well, probably in your mouth).
If you haven’t used flax eggs in baking or burgers (or any other recipes where you need something to bind together) you should give it a whirl! You just take some ground flax seed, a bit of warm water, and mix it together, then in a few minutes you have this gooey, cool gel that works like an egg (binding like magic) and is a super healthy add to whatever you’re making!
- ½ lb of tempeh, steamed and crumbled
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- ⅓ cup sunflowers (roasted, unsalted)
- ¼ cup oats (finely ground)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 flax egg (3 T ground flax mixed with 3 T hot water)
- ¾ cup GF bread crumbs (on thick piece of GF toasted, and crumbled)
- 1 small carrot, grated (about ⅓ cup)
- ¼ cup fresh, chopped basil (loosely packed)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (in oil, drained, chopped)
- ½ t sea salt
- ¼ t cracked black pepper
- ½ t Italian seasoning blend (no salt added)
- In a food processor, pulse the oats about a dozen times, set aside. Pulse the pecans and sunflower seeds a dozen times, and set aside, shred the carrot, and set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl, mash everything together with damp hands until you can easily form balls that stay together.
- Make six large patties and let rest for about 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat 1 T high-heat oil in a large skillet and cook patties for 10 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.