Doesn’t something with “creamy” and “bisque” in its name just sound….well creamy and bisquey?
recipe: creamy tomato basil bisque
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can good quality whole peeled plum tomatoes packed in juice (unsalted)
- 1 T brown sugar
- ¾ C cashews, powdered, blended with 1 cup water vegetable broth
- 2 C more veggie broth
- ½ t salt (or more, to taste)
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- fresh basil chopped (as much as you like)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat until shimmering, then saute onion, garlic, and bay leaf, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the whole can of tomatoes and their juice. Smash up the tomatoes with a big wooden spoon (put on your apron first).
- Stir in the sugar and then the cashew cream and then the other 2 cups of broth and bring the mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to blender (let it cool a while first if you do this – or the lid will cave in, or worse pop off and it’s a mess – trust me – and even after it has cooled a bit take the middle of the blender cap out to let steam escape) or user an immersion blender.
- Return soup to boil, add salt, and season to taste with freshly-ground black pepper.
- Garnish with freshly chopped basil.