I know, you’re thinking, “Uh, yeah, like I need to know how to make a PB&J.” But, hear me out. Around here we eat a whole lotta nut butter, peanut and almond being our most frequent choices. But, lately, I’ve been really into making my own…everything, frankly. Almond milk, vegan nut cheese, all sorts of things I generally don’t bother to spend time on. I guess I’m going through a homegrown phase. It’s a whole lotta mason jars and cheesecloth and frustration. But, it’s also a whole lotta fun.
Today I want to share two really, really easy homemade things that you can make in minutes, enjoy within the hour, and feel really proud about: sunflower seed butter and strawberry chia seed jam.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, washed, dried, and hulled
- 1 t liquid sweetener (I used agave, maple syrup would be great)
- 1 T chia seeds
- Dice up your strawberries and place into a medium-sized bowl.
- Smash strawberries with a fork or other masher or your hands (I chose hands, it was fun, this would be great to do with kids!)
- Add sweetener and chia seeds to bowl, mix everything well.
- Place in a jar and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Enjoy the magic of chia seeds!
- 2 cups roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ½ t sea salt
- Place seeds and salt (adjust to your taste or omit altogether) into a high-speed blender (like a VitaMix) and blend on high until butter forms (in a VitaMix it takes less than a minute – which I love! It’s so much easier than other nut butters), scraping down the sides as needed.