This is one of my favorite salads ever. It reminds me of the little tasty treat you get when you sit down at most sushi bars. It’s tart and a little sweet and as spicy as you want it to be. I only let my cucumbers pickle for an hour or two, because I like them still very crunchy. But, you can leave them pickling for up to a few days and use them in other things (like this tasty bahn mi bowl).
- 2 large cucumbers, washed and sliced very thin (preferably on a Mandoline)
- 1 T hot water
- 1 T dry sugar
- ½ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- dash salt
- garlic chili sauce/paste to taste (I use about a teaspoon)
- Place sliced cucumbers in a large bowl or container that has a lid.
- Dissolve sugar in hot water, then add all other ingredients and whisk until mixed.
- Toss cucumbers in sauce and refrigerate (shaking/tossing periodically) until ready to eat.